CFSA is a non-profit membership organization that works to create a local and organic food system in North and South Carolina. We help people in the Carolinas grow and eat local, organic foods by advocating for fair farm and food policies, building the systems family farms need to thrive, and educating and organizing farmers and the communities they serve. Based in Pittsboro, NC, CFSA is the oldest and largest sustainable agriculture organization in the Southeast. We have a thirty-two-year record of successfully uniting farmers, consumers and businesses to build a just, healthy food and farming future.
The Community Mobilizer is a thirty hour per week paid position. The position is expected to start beginning of June and is funded for 8 months to coincide with the end of current congressional terms. Weekly schedule and exact start/end dates will be determined at the time of hire. The term of the position may be extended subject to availability of funds.
The Community Mobilizer must be highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to prioritize and complete a wide variety of tasks. Organizers must be comfortable interacting with people from a wide variety of backgrounds; communicating the importance of Farm Bill reform; confident in asking people to become CFSA members and/or to financially support our work through donations; and to engage people to be active in regional chapters and campaigns.
The Community Mobilizer will report directly to the Director of the Sustainable Food NC Coalition, and will work closely with the Executive Director. The Community Mobilizer is based in the Pittsboro, NC office. Some night and weekend meetings and extensive travel throughout the Carolinas will be required.
- Working with CFSA Tour Coordinator to plan, coordinate and implement visits to at least 25 farmers markets and at least 12 restaurants, markets or other farm-to-fork businesses across the NC and SC, focusing on the following key regions: Triangle, Piedmont, Triad, Asheville, Charlotte, Upstate SC, and Charleston.
- Working with the CFSA Tour Coordinator to activate our membership by reaching out to key ‘friends and allies’ to host informal barn-storm tour meet-ups in their area and/or train members to get farmers listed on the local food finder.
- Monitoring federal Farm Bill legislation.
- Analyzing the relevance of the Farm Bill proposals to the sustainable and organic farming communities in the Carolinas.
- Assisting CFSA communications staff to develop informational materials about the 2012 Farm Bill to distribute to CFSA’s grassroots network
- Communicating this information to CFSA's members and partners using a variety of electronic and print methods (e.g., action alerts)
- Providing regular Farm Bill briefings to CFSA staff
- Coordinating grassroots outreach about the Farm Bill with CFSA’s 2012 Barn Storm Tour, with special emphasis on connecting with the members of the Carolinas’ congressional delegation while they are in their districts
- Coordinating grassroots outreach about the Farm Bill with prominent regional and state events (e.g., conferences & forums)
- Assist CFSA team in formulating sound organizing strategies
- Leverage existing CFSA members, board and staff to build relationships and heighten visibility of important Farm Bill issues in all of CFSA’s regional service areas
- Identify, recruit, and develop community leaders for CFSA’s team of “super-activists”
- Recruiting new CFSA members
- Track, report, and evaluate weekly activity
- Develop, with supervisors, a simple tracking system for grassroots advocacy activities taken and reported by CFSA members.