- Undertake litigation on behalf of CSPI or on behalf of private plaintiffs.
- Identify and retain appropriate class plaintiffs.
- Draft complaints and other legal documents such as motions, briefs, and discovery requests and responses; conduct discovery.
- Meet litigation deadlines.
- Choose appropriate forums for suit.
- Research new topics for litigation possibilities.
- Identify matters suitable for regulatory action.
- Draft complaints and other documents for filing before federal agencies.
- Stay up-to-date on trends within the food industry.
- Read relevant trade journals and news stories, examine advertising and labeling for food products.
- Stay abreast of changes in relevant statutes and regulations.
- Attend conferences and earn CLE credits.
- Maintain law license in at least one state.
- Help supervise litigation interns.
- Law degree (J.D.), admitted to at least one state bar, and 1 to 7 years of litigation or regulatory experience.
- Member of D.C. Bar or ability to apply for admission immediately upon hire.
- Knowledge of consumer and regulatory law and litigation experience.
- Strong legal writing, research and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common legal and technical journals, financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Computer proficiency with MSOffice, and experience with Internet-based research tools such as Westlaw.
- Demonstrated commitment to public-interest advocacy and consumer protections.
CSPI - Dept. IDSA
1220 L Street, NW #300
Washington, DC 20005
Or email (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org