Start Date: Jan. 15, 2014
Under the supervision of the Senior Program Manager, the Local Food Systems Project Coordinator will work primarily on the County of San Diego’s Healthy Local Food Systems Project (the Project) supporting a large Project team in farm-to-institution (F2I) procurement planning and urban/rural agricultural policy and regulations planning. The overarching goal of the Project is to improve San Diego’s food system through significant increases in local food consumption through structural changes, such as institutional procurement and local land use policy. Ultimately, the Project’s goals will assist local San Diego food producers to become more economically successful with more demand as well as increased production in more local jurisdictions.
Responsibilities:• Support the Project team in all capacities, particularly with regards to the Project scope of work and particularly with regard to Project stakeholder meetings, internal Project team meetings and Project documents and communication.
• Learn skills in Year 1 to increase capacity to lead meetings in following years of the Project
• Liaise with and between County staff and build, increase and sustain long-term capacity in F2I and local urban/rural agricultural planning.
• Engage with FSCH and other IRC programs to deepen IRC and San Diego County partnerships for mutual learning, cross-support and increased successful Project impacts
• Deepen partnership and working relationship with the County of San Diego colleagues for long-term post-Project sustainability
• Collect and compile data, author and revise internal and external Project documents, as needed
• Support IRC Food Security and Community Health Department projects, as needed.
• Other related duties as assigned
Requirements:• Bachelors in public health, food systems, urban ecology, health equity planning or related field ; Masters preferred.
• At least two years of related work in a professional office setting.
• Experience with and knowledge of farming, food systems, food policy, urban agriculture and/or healthy food access issues.
• Strong project management experience, including complex project planning, effective meeting procedures, professional writing, public speaking in large, formal settings and budget management skills.
• Strong relationship building and partnering skills as demonstrated by past experience cultivating, establishing and growing networks and professional relationships
• Able to represent the organization professionally to the public, government entities, institutional partners, etc. as demonstrated by past examples of success with similar responsibilities
• Strong commitment to work within large organizational settings to institute systemic food systems change within institutions and local governments
• A strong desire to learn and receive mentorship in technical aspects as well as social navigation skills necessary for high-impact F2I and agricultural policy and regulations.
Anchi Mei, AICP | Senior Program Manager, Food Security and Community Health Department
International Rescue Committee
5348 University Avenue, Suite 115, San Diego, CA 92105 | Rescue.org<http://Rescue.org>
T +1 619-641-7510 ext. 234| Email: Anchi.Mei@Rescue.org<mailto:Ra
Learn more about our program!<http://www.rescue.