Sunday, December 8, 2013
Roll Global LLC - Director of Government Affairs
Position Announcement: Director of Government Affairs
Roll Global LLC is a $3 billion plus international company focused on healthy brands for healthy lifestyles. Our products include fresh fruit and tree nuts; floral delivery; and premium beverages such as artesian water, California wine and pure pomegranate juices and teas. Our consumer brands sold at grocery include POM Wonderful, Wonderful Pistachios, Wonderful Almonds, Wonderful Halos, FIJI Water, Teleflora and Justin Vineyard & Winery. Over the last decade, we’ve transformed the healthy pomegranate and POM Wonderful into a worldwide phenomenon, FIJI Water into the country’s No. 1 imported bottled water and Wonderful Pistachios into one of America’s top-selling snack nuts. Our diverse holdings make us the world’s largest grower of tree crops, America’s largest citrus grower, and the world’s largest flower delivery service. As a privately held company, we don’t respond to restless shareholders or the whims of the stock market. Our decisions are driven by the long-term health of our businesses, our customers, our employees and our planet. To learn more about the Roll brands, visit www.roll.com.
The Director of Government Affairs for Roll Global will work to create strategic, mutually beneficial, long-term relationships with legislative, regulatory and other third party organizations. The Director will be tasked with articulating Roll Global’ s business position where necessary when interfacing with regulatory bodies and government agencies.
The position will report to the Chief Legal Officer and/or the Assistant General Counsel. This position is located at our Los Angeles corporate office with travel mostly throughout CA and Washington D.C.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Develop, recommend and execute political and legislative strategies to advance and protect Roll’s positions in the areas of agriculture, food, wine, labor, trade, tax and other business issues
• Primarily involved in the food policy, marketing and trade side of Roll’s businesses
• Build, develop and manage relationships with US governmental agencies (USDA, USTR, FAS, Commerce, EPA)
• Build, develop and manage relationships with state agencies (CDFA) and with other relevant federal and state advocacy organizations (e.g., chambers of commerce)
• Build, develop and manage relationships with Congressional offices in DC
• Handle international trade relations, especially with China (CFDA), Korea (KFDA) and in Europe
• Build, develop and manage relationships with relevant government bodies and international agencies
• Work with Chinese consultants to monitor and comment on new Chinese laws, policies, enforcement practices, etc. that affect imported products (e.g., pistachios, almonds, bottled water and pomegranate juice concentrate)
• Handle legislative tracking, proposing legislation, commenting on legislation, and managing lobbyists (when needed)
• Work with Roll’s regulatory team to assist with food safety, legislation, and regulatory issues that overlap with government affairs
• Work with trade and industry associations to ensure company views are communicated directly through these associations to government policymakers on legislation, regulation and interpretation of issues which impact the Roll companies
• Coordinate with Roll’s staff on political giving priorities to advance identified political and legislative strategies
• Handle MAP funding through the USDA
• Participate in periodic trade missions with the USDA or other agencies
• B.A. or B.S. required; J.D. is a plus
• Minimum 7 to 10 years working in government affairs, preferably in DC with agency experience
• The ideal candidate will think broadly and strategically about our advocacy and facilitate the organizational objectives.
• Able to execute projects efficiently in a fast paced environment
• Able to travel; required to spend one week per month in Washington DC