SPANISH-SPEAKING STAFF ATTORNEY
FARMWORKER AND LANDSCAPER ADVOCACY PROJECThttp://www.fwadvocacy.org
Job Type: ATTORNEY
Schedule Type: Full Time
FLAP carries out this mission through outreach, litigation, community legal education, counsel and advice. FLAP together with experienced co-counsel have an active federal and state litigation docket involving a variety of employment issues (wage and hour). FLAP does not receive funding from the Federal Legal Services Corporation. For more information please check www.fwadvocacy.org and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xisFQ3DWrk
Position: FLAP is seeking to hire a Spanish-speaking staff attorney to assist with firm’s employment litigation docket working from its office in downtown Chicago, Illinois.
- 1) Maintain a caseload,
- 2) Litigate and advocate in federal and state courts and agencies,
- 3) Maintain regular contact with Spanish-speaking clients,
- 4) Maintain relationships and coordinate effectively with co-counsel and other organizations,
- 5) Supervise law student’s interns and externs and legal volunteers,
- 6) Provide oral and written Spanish/English translation as needed,
- 7) Assist with whatever additional tasks as directed by the Executive Director.
- 1) Juris Doctor is required;
- 2) Fluency in both written and spoken English and Spanish is a must,
- 3) Strong writing and oral communication and research skills are required,
- 4) Demonstrated commitment to public interest law, social justice and immigrants’ rights,
- 5) Litigation experience in the area of labor and employment is preferred, but not required,
- 6) Ability to work with diverse audiences, including community advocates is required,
- 7) previous experience working with farmworkers and/or landscapers beneficial for this position, along with other prior work that requires cultural sensitivity,
- 8) Licensed to practice in Illinois,
- 9) Admission or eligibility for admission to the Northern District Court of Illinois and willingness to complete the process as quickly as possible,
- 10) Strong organizational skills,
- 11) Ability to work independently,
- 12) Outstanding communication skills,
- 13) Individually motivated and able to keep momentum,
- 14) Ability to multitask,
- 15) Efficiency and prompt turn-around mandatory.
Write: ‘Staff Attorney” in the subject line of the e-mail. The FLAP will not accept incomplete applications. No Phone calls please.
FAP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
33 N. LaSalle, Suite 900
Chicago, IL 60602