Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Natural Resources Defense Council: Water Program Fellow
The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action organization. We use law, science and the support of 1.3 million members and online activists to protect the planet's wildlife and wild places and to ensure a safe and healthy environment for all living things. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff of more than 450 lawyers, scientists, economists, policy and communications experts, and others, work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC is seeking a full time, three year fellow to work with the Water Program. The successful candidate will be expected to play a major role in formulating and implementing NRDC’s efforts to advocate for more climate change-resilient farms, and will collaborate with a team of attorneys, policy analysts and other staff engaged on these issues. Ideally, this position would be based in the Chicago, Santa Monica, or Washington, D.C. office of NRDC.
This job will include:
· Advocating before legislative and regulatory bodies about the benefits of soil health for climate-change resiliency.
· Developing and maintaining external partnerships within extension offices, universities, and grassroots NGOs.
· Communicating the benefits of agricultural stewardship to diverse audiences, including agricultural communities, environmental communities, the general public and policy specialists.
· Traveling when necessary to implement work plan objectives in national and local areas of focus.
· Advanced degree in agricultural economics, agroecology, agronomy, economics, law, or public policy; or minimum of 3 years work experience in a related field
· Strong advocacy experience on agricultural and/or environmental issues.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Experience in building collaborations with non-traditional allies and in working with local, state or federal agencies and the farming community.
· Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team to build upon strengths of the program.
· Knowledge of agricultural practices and policies, including the Federal Crop Insurance Program, a significant plus.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please create a profile and upload your resume and cover letter. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663.
For further information about NRDC, please visit www.nrdc.org