Req Id: 3283
Job Title: Attorney - NE South Dakota
State: South Dakota
Location of position: North East
Location State-City: SD-Clark
Recruiter: Jeri Derrig, Phone:
- Participates in the definition and development of the Company’s legal policies and provides continuing counsel and guidance on legal matters and on legal implications of all matters.
- Serves as lawyer/legal advisor on all major business transactions, including acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, unifications, merger agreements land deeds, title transfers and operating agreements.
- Judges the merits of major court cases filed against and on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approve settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Assumes ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the company conducts its business in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Advises on legal aspects of the organization’s financing, including but not limited to assessing and advising on current and future business structures and legal entities.
- Prepares final legal papers and correspondence of legal nature such as summonses, complaints, motions, and subpoenas from draft or dictated text.
- Ensures proper indexing and filing of original legal documents.
- Law degree and member of the bar required.
- Admitted to practice in the State of South Dakota.
- Minimum of six years’ experience with a law firm.
- Broad, overview experience in intellectual property law including patent law, licensing of IP rights, and IP due diligence.
- Exposure to and/or familiarity with the following areas of law: securities, antitrust, computer law and privacy.
- Experience dealing with the SEC, OSHA, EPA and other regulatory agencies.
- Experience working on matters of corporate governance and with a board of directors is required.
- Able to communicate effectively with a variety of contacts, including outside attorneys, senior management, and business associates.
- Ability to write business legal reports and correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information to senior management.
- Ability to respond to inquiries from regulatory agencies, customers and agricultural business community.
- Experience in contract law and employment law.
- Experience resolving conflict between groups with opposing perspectives, agendas, or priorities.
- Self-assured and confident in a variety of settings with a strong belief in own capabilities.
- Handle long-term and/or complex legal projects with significant financial or other business impact.
- Expert at bringing and pursuing lawsuits, including drafting/arguing pre-trial motions, handling depositions, participating in trial with and without jury, and appealing cases.
- Strong business and financial acumen as well as superior analytical and writing skills.
- Must be able to travel in and out of state periodically.