Food Law Counsel FDA USDA
Functional Area(s): Corporate Careers
Job Description: General Mills is seeking a Food Law Counsel to handle a complete range of issues related to General Mills’ food businesses.
• Participate as legal representative on cross-functional teams, advising clients on product regulatory issues/requirements including ingredient approvals for food and color additives; health claims, nutrient content claims, structure-function claims, natural claims and other product claims; food safety, plant inspections, implementation of and compliance with the Food Safety Modernization Act; and state law issues such as Proposition 65.
• Develop a comprehensive understanding of the company’s businesses and business practices; engage in a proactive style of legal practice in order to best serve internal clients.
• Serve as the expert resource for clients and colleagues on the issues described above.
• Travel as required to represent the interests of General Mills.
• Juris Doctorate with 5-7 years experience at the FDA, a law firm and/or food company law department practicing in the area of food law.
• Experience interacting with FDA; experience with USDA a plus.
• Ability to evaluate scientific and safety data and information in order to communicate effectively with marketing, regulatory and scientific clients.
• Experience and ability to identify issues, and provide legal service and advice on non-routine matters, with minimal supervision.
• Superior written and oral communication skills.
• Practical and creative problem analysis and resolution skills.
• Excellent business judgment with the ability to make decisions and give advice that demonstrates an understanding of overall business objectives and the risk/reward of each situation.
• Maturity and strong leadership skills, with the ability to articulate positions and provide direction.
• Admission in good standing to practice law in at least one state.
• A commitment to the highest professional and ethical standards.
• Strong executive “presence” and the ability to quickly gain the confidence of clients, enhanced by a strong sense of teamwork and outstanding people skills.
• Flexibility of style as a lawyer, as a member of a multi-disciplined team, and as a business person.
• A high level of energy and self-motivation.
Our Brands. Your Legacy.
Great brands start with the people that make them great. One of the world's leading food companies, General Mills operates in more than 100 countries and markets more than 100 consumer brands, including Cheerios, Häagen-Dazs, Nature Valley, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury, Green Giant, Old El Paso, Yoplait and more. Headquartered in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, General Mills had fiscal 2011 global net sales of US$14.9 billion.
We seek out the best of the best and give them development, support and the chance to lead something big. If you’re ready to fulfill your potential, consider sharing your talents with the outstanding people of General Mills. You will work with legendary brands, nourish people around the world, and start building your own legacy.
Location: Minneapolis, MN, US
Job ID: 51222691