CCPHA seeks a midlevel professional to coordinate our state legislative advocacy efforts.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the State Policy Coordinator will be the Center’s day-to-day liaison with our contract lobbyist in the Capitol.
The State Policy Coordinator’s duties will include the following:
(1) developing background materials for CCPHA-sponsored bills;Qualifications for the position include:
(2) writing letters of support and opposition to state and national legislation;
(3) preparing legislative testimony;
(4) meeting with legislative staff and interest groups to advance CCPHA’s legislative interests;
(5) attending legislative hearings;
(6) participating in strategic coalitions and developing strategic partnerships;
(7) informing CCPHA’s statewide advocacy network about legislative activities and activating them at appropriate times;
(8) using social media to advance our policy agenda; and
(9) coordinating CCPHA’s state policy work with the other activities of the organization.
- Exceptional writing skills and good public speaking skills.
- A public health or public policy background (knowledge of nutrition and physical activity issues is a plus).
- Knowledge of the state policy making process (experience developing and/or advocating for policy reforms, and doing such work in California is a plus)
- Ability to work independently, coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously, and work as a member of a team.
- Computer skills including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
To apply, send a resume, writing sample and a cover letter postmarked by February 11, 2013 to:
California Center for Public Health Advocacy
ATTN: John Perez
PO Box 2309 Davis, California 95617
The California Center for Public Health Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer.