LIVESTOCK MARKETING ASSOCIATION
VICE PRESIDENT, GOVERNMENT AND INDUSTRY AFFAIRS
The Livestock Marketing Association is the leading livestock trade association in the country (www.lmaweb.com) and is based in Kansas City, Missouri. This position is based in the Kansas City office. In addition to the trade association, LMA also has an in-house insurance agency (LMIA) which serves its members.
Job Description: Manages and conducts government and industry affairs activities for the Livestock Marketing Association (LMA) and, generally, the livestock marketing sector.
- Represents LMA’s interests before the U.S. Congress and Executive Branch departments and agencies, including the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), USDA’s Grain Inspection, Packers and Stockyards Administration, USDA’s Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service, USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service, USDA’s Agriculture Marketing Service, USDA’s Natural Resource Conservation Service and other USDA agencies, as necessary, the Food and Drug Administration, the Environmental Protection Agency and other agencies and departments, as required
- Acts as LMA’s liaison with other industry organizations on livestock marketing, animal health, food safety, environmental and animal welfare issues and such other issues and interest s as they present themselves
- Works with the Regional Executive Officers to coordinate state legislative and regulatory interests with those at the national level
- Develops and secures legislation to improve conditions within the livestock marketing sector
- Reviews legislation for its potential impact on the marketing sector; prepares testimony and testifies before congressional committees; Brings the marketing sector's position on key issues to the attention of the news media and the general public in cooperation with LMA’s Director of Communications
- Prepares comments to proposed regulations published by federal departments and agencies
- Works with LMA’s legal counsel on legislative, regulatory and legal issues
- Attends state marketing association meetings to present LMA’s policies and government and industry affairs activities and issues
- Works with the LMA leadership, managers and staff to carry out the programs and policies of the Association.
The following knowledge and skills are required:
- Demonstrated knowledge of/experience in the livestock industry
- Demonstrated knowledge of current/proposed federal/state regulations affecting the livestock industry
- Demonstrated ability for public speaking
- Law degree not required but helpful
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, as well as
- knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
For further information and to apply, contact
Director, Human Resources
Livestock Marketing Association
10510 NW Ambassador Drive
Kansas City, MO 64153