25 miles north of Manhattan in Pocantico Hills, New York. Stone Barns operates an 80-acre fourseason
farm and is working on broader initiatives to create a healthy and sustainable food system Through our Growing Farmers Initiative, children’s education programs, and diverse public
awareness programs, we work to improve the way America eats and farms.
Supervised by the Executive Director, the Growing Farmers Initiative Director will manage and lead one of the organization’s nationally recognized, signature initiatives.
The Director will evaluate ongoing programming and, with the Executive Director, develop and implement new programs to increase the success of beginning farmers and advance resilient agriculture. As the leader of this growing program, s/he will be asked to support fundraising for programming that gives new farmers the tools, experiences and opportunities they will need to engage in farming as a life-long profession. New efforts may include, but are not limited to:
- development of a young farmer advisory board, development of university partnerships,
- development of a best in class business planning program, development of an alumni network and
- advancing the organization’s aggressive private lands strategy, which seeks to secure beginning
- farmer access to 10,000 acres of new productive land in the next ten years. S/he will oversee the
- execution of all existing programming including technical workshops, apprentice program and
- curriculum, the Virtual Grange and the annual Young Farmers Conference.
- S/he will work with the Executive Director to advance programs that leverage not only the Stone
- Barns site and farm, but also its brand and institutional reach. S/he will work collaboratively with
- other organizations in the Hudson Valley and beyond to develop complementary initiatives and
- identify opportunities to support beginning farmers.
- Develop a concerted strategy to support beginning farmers.
- Set goals, articulate a theory of change, and establish clear evaluation criteria for each
- Enhance use of the Center’s unique assets—including farm, restaurant/cooking and
- proximity to NYC—to further the program and build the organization’s regional and
- national impact.
- Serve on Center’s Executive Team, taking part in decision-making for Center as a whole
- (including farm, education, fundraising, and administration).
- Develop new initiatives while managing a portfolio of existing programs.
- Work with the Director of Marketing and Philanthropy to raise funds for the Initiative.
- Manage $735,000 USDA beginning farmer grant and other designated funding.
- Work with the Executive Director to communicate and engage important constituents and
- stakeholders, including the Board of Directors and key partners.
- Establish partnerships with like-minded organizations.
- Manage Growing Farmers Initiative Coordinator
- Minimum of ten years experience as a proven leader in program management and
- Experience working with farmers, entrepreneurs and/or collegians.
- Experience working with new institutions or start-up companies.
- Proven strategic planner with sound analytical ability, good judgment, and strong
- operational focus.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and align staff through effective communication,
- performance management, positive interpersonal, diplomatic and negotiation skills.
- Understanding of food and agriculture.
- Exceptional interpersonal and relationship building competencies coupled with strong
- written and verbal communication skills.
- Energetic, forward thinking, creative individual with high ethical standards.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits
including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k plans. This is a full time, exempt position
with weekend and evening hours as required.
- Please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
- Applications will be accepted through March 5, 2013.
- Stone Barns Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse background.