Founded in September 2011, Food Recovery Network (FRN) unites students to fight food waste and hunger by recovering the unsold surplus food from their colleges and donating it to hungry Americans. Featured on MSNBC, VH1, The New York Times, Upworthy and other publications, FRN is taking the nation by storm and has become America’s largest student movement against hunger. Made up of nearly 100 colleges and universities, FRN has already recovered over 435,000 pounds of food and is rapidly expanding. By May 2015, FRN aims to grow to 150 campuses nationwide and increase the amount it has recovered to 610,000 pounds of food.
FRN’s Expansion Department works one-on-one with students to start strong, effective Food Recovery Network chapters. It works closely with the Member Support Department, which is responsible for maintaining and building the capacity of our chapters over time. FRN is looking for a highly capable and motivated Director of Expansion to lead the growth of our national movement.
Commitment and Benefits: The position will require approximately 40 hours of work per week at the FRN National Office in College Park, MD near the University of Maryland, College Park campus. Our preferred start date is October 27, 2014. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Benefits include five full weeks (25 days) of paid time off, approximately 13 days paid holidays, and a stipend of $150 per month to help cover transportation costs. Additionally, this experience heavily emphasizes professional development opportunities, including frequent workshops, public speaking, media and networking opportunities and access to an esteemed network of advisors.
- Lead and manage the three Expansion Fellows that make up the Expansion Team
- Hire and train Expansion fellows
- Ensure these fellows are properly coaching students through starting FRN chapters
- Supervise the fellows in their additional projects such as researching and reaching out to form partnerships with national student organizations
- Encourage and implement suggestions for continually improving the expansion process
- Establish a strong working relationship with the fellows, leading in a communicative and humble manner
- Provide support to the fellows in their planning of fun and community service activities
- Personally coach 10-20 students at any given time through the process of starting FRN chapters
- Create and update resources and databases for the National Team and FRN chapters
- Represent FRN in meetings with key national partners such as food service providers, the EPA, and local partners
- Present at special events, and represent FRN in media opportunities
- Collaborate with the Director of Member Support to ensure continuity and collaboration across departments
- Provide general programmatic and research help to Executive Director
- Assist Executive Director and Director of Member Support in hiring decisions of non-expansion employees
At least one year post college work experience
Strong experience with Google Docs, Gmail and MS Office Suite
Excellent written and oral communication skills
Experience with service projects and demonstrated on campus leadership
Organized and able to deliver in a dynamic, fun, and results-oriented environment
Experience working with food justice issues
Experience with Adobe Photoshop, Indesign, Acrobat and Illustrator Software
Demonstrated ability to rally and support others to join a cause or organization
Previous experience with a national student-focused non-profit or start-up
Experience managing others in a nonprofit setting
If interested, please send a brief cover letter, resume and two professional references to Executive Director Ben Simon at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. The very latest applications will be accepted is Sunday, October 5, 2014 at 11:59pm EST.