Litigation Operations Manager
VP of Litigation | San Francisco, CA, United States
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS
- Lead projects designed to improve work flows, strengthen compliance and support the litigation functions of the organization.
- Investigate and carefully apply useful technology tools to all phases of the litigation lifecycle, including litigation support, case management, time tracking, billing and reporting.
- In partnership with IT, lead transition to new case information database, including implementing work flows and ensuring quality of data migration.
- Manage proper administration of case information database, including department-wide functioning, information quality control and efficient processes.
- In partnership with Finance, improve time tracking and billing procedures and practices, introducing new tools and systems as needed.
- Manage department-wide document administration and retention process, improving consistency of systems and work flows.
- Liaise with Office Managers, Managing Attorneys and other regional office staff to gain feedback on operations performance and to develop business process improvements and tools to support litigation needs, such as e-discovery support and complex Word tools.
- Gather, maintain and interpret case information for reporting needs of the VPs of Litigation and President.
- Contribute to better internal communication by supporting intra- and inter-departmental information sharing through Sharepoint-based intraweb, email and other tools.
- Negotiate and manage Westlaw account and other department resources, as needed.
- Serve as primary point of contact for operations projects within the litigation practice, as needed.
- Maintain familiarity with trends in law practice administration and advise VPs, Managing Attorneys and Litigation staff on opportunities for improvements to Earthjustice Litigation department functioning.
- Maintain a familiarity with Litigation department substantive issues for purposes of supporting department information, reporting and operational functioning needs.
- Contribute to and support plans for lawyer and litigation support staff training.
- Manage and coordinate litigation administrative support staff needs, as needed.
- Develop, track and manage litigation operations budgets and associated contracts and services.
- Depending on experience, this position may supervise projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Assistants, Interns or Contractors.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field plus a minimum of five years of relevant work experience required.
- B.S. in Business Administration and/or advanced degree in law or related field a plus.
- Expert technical specialist with seasoned knowledge of all aspects of business planning, project management, work flow planning, budgeting and financial management.
- Certification or training in project management desired.
- Strong knowledge of case management, tracking and billing systems and litigation support software a must; proficient knowledge of TimeSlips a strong plus
- Understanding of law firm operations and the litigation process.
- Superb project management skills, attention to detail and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- In-depth proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Adobe Reader, and Acrobat. Working knowledge of Access, HTML and project management software
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing and tracking budgets.
- Ability to organize, prioritize and manage multiple tasks, sometimes under time pressure and facing unexpected challenges, with excellent results.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Focus and attention to detail, including the management of complex information.
- Ability to take change in stride, overcome obstacles and adapt to unforeseen conditions; successful at on-the-fly adaptation when needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and good judgment about people and situations
- Persuasiveness and ability to influence others to achieve goals.
- Ability to maintain confidences and confidential information.
- Excellent written and in-person communications skills.
We offer a mission and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter.
NO TELEPHONE CALLS WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.