Policy Specialist (Farming Opportunities & Fair Competition)
National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition
The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) is an alliance of grassroots organizations that advocates for federal policy reform to advance the sustainability of agriculture, food systems, natural resources, and rural communities. NSAC is currently seeking a Policy Specialist for family farm and sustainability issues, with specific reference to farm programs, crop insurance, livestock market competition issues, and federal agricultural research and extension policy. This position is located at NSAC’s DC office on Capitol Hill. The Policy Specialist, one of five Policy Specialists at NSAC, reports directly to NSAC’s Policy Director.
NSAC’s Policy Specialist will help to:
- Develop and implement policies and strategies focused on farm opportunities and fair competition, especially as these relate to increasing access to crop insurance for sustainable and organic farmers, promoting sensible commodity and crop insurance subsidy reform, reforming crop and revenue insurance to promote conservation, ensuring fair and competitive markets, and generally supporting thriving family farms through these and other related policy areas
- Support sustainable food and agricultural system research by working on policy and funding for one or more USDA research programs, working closely with NSAC’s lead Policy Specialist on research and extension issues
- Advocate before the U.S. Congress and executive branch agencies, including especially the U.S Department of Agriculture
- Staff and help lead and manage NSAC’s Farming Opportunities and Fair Competition Committee
- Help manage and provide back-up support for NSAC’s Research, Education and Extension Committee
- Draft documents, including legislative language, policy papers, testimony, advocacy materials, rulemaking comments, press releases, blog posts, etc. on related policy issues
- Contribute to the organization’s annual planning and priority setting, budgeting, and fundraising
- Participate in the planning and execution of coalition-wide meetings
- Assist our grassroots team with grassroots and grasstops outreach related to this particular set of issues
- Cultivate partnerships with other organizations working in the policy arena and represent NSAC at various coalitions and collaborations in DC
- Represent NSAC at events and to the media
- An understanding and passion for sustainable agriculture, including family farm livelihood and opportunity in general and in particular, crop insurance, commodity, conservation, competition, and research issues
- Knowledge of the federal policy-making process
- A minimum of three years Hill, government, or lobbying experience on agricultural policy preferred
- Experience advocating on farm program reform is preferred
- Background with grassroots advocacy campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal communications and public speaking skills
- Experience with print, radio, and online media preferred
- Experience with large, multi-organization grassroots coalitions
- Ability to both work independently and be a good team player
- Willingness to work around a demanding congressional schedule and administrative deadlines
- Willingness to travel domestically several times a year
Salary is on a non-profit scale and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. NSAC offers an excellent employer paid benefits package and a lively and collaborative work environment.
Please send resume, cover letter including an explanation of your interests in sustainable agriculture, salary history, and the names of three references to Jeremy Emmi at jemmi@sustainableagriculture.
NSAC is an equal opportunity employer. We actively encourage people of color to apply for this position and all positions at NSAC.