Food and Environment Program
Washington, DC Office
- Working as part of an interdisciplinary team, provide lead health sciences to the planning, design, and implementation of research activities and projects that advance healthy, sustainable food and agriculture systems.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive knowledge of public health analytical tools and food system issues, and utilize expertise in implementing research and advocacy activities; help develop and implement research methodologies; conduct literature reviews and searches to monitor and assess current and ongoing research and trends; gather and analyze data using databases, models and other appropriate analytical tools; write reports and other materials based on these analyses.
- Collaborate with analytic, policy, outreach, and media staff to apply research results and conclusions to the formulation and development of public policies, political strategies, media outreach, and other communication efforts; track and evaluate proposed legislation and regulations and develop alternatives.
- Represent UCS, its mission, goals, and positions at workshops, hearings, conferences, and other forums; present and promote UCS ideas, objectives, and activities; educate participants about political, environmental, social and economic dimensions of food and farming issues, with emphasis on the health benefits of sustainable agriculture and local and regional food systems.
- Provide technical and strategic assistance to policy makers, opinion leaders and coalition partners, and respond to inquiries and comments; establish and maintain alliances with advocates, healthy food businesses, modelers, and researchers at other organizations.
- Work with program and UCS communications staff to identify key media opportunities; serve as direct contact to the media; draft and edit press materials and content for UCS web site; write for the UCS blog.
- Help develop program objectives, strategies, and work plans, and contribute to foundation proposals, reports, workgroups and planning processes. Perform other related functions as directed.