Wednesday, October 19, 2011
Grassroots Advocacy Director
Grassroots Advocacy Director
The National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition (NSAC) is an alliance of over 80 grassroots organizations that advocates for federal policy reform to advance the sustainability of agriculture, food systems, natural resources, and rural communities. NSAC is currently seeking a Grassroots Advocacy Director.
The Grassroots Advocacy Director, working collaboratively with staff and member organizations, will create grassroots campaigns and conduct outreach to galvanize support for and advance NSAC federal policy priorities, including agricultural appropriations and 2012 Farm Bill priorities.
• In cooperation with the Executive Director and NSAC Grassroots Council, develop the
Coalition’s strategic vision into a grassroots campaign plan to achieve the Coalition’s policy
• Implement NSAC’s grassroots outreach and advocacy campaigns, including the 2012 Farm Bill
• Assist, cultivate, expand, and provide resources to a robust network of grassroots organizations
and selected grasstops partners in support of NSAC’s mission and objectives
• Help build NSAC member groups’ knowledge of and confidence in the legislative process,
lobbying, and strategic policy communication and media
• Identify and integrate new communications technologies and tools
• Identify key target districts and states for specific campaigns and recruit new member organizations in those areas that are a good fit for NSAC with attention to NSAC’s continuing
• Write and disseminate action alerts in conjunction with policy staff
• Oversee farmer fly-ins, lobby days, and special events, such as rallies and news conferences
• Organize conference calls and in-person meetings relevant to grassroots campaigns
• Oversee databases
• Oversee NSAC member services
• Travel to member organization events and to targeted districts to speak about current campaigns and to conduct advocacy workshops
• Administer NSAC’s Strategic Initiative Grant program (mini grants to member groups for
specific grassroots advocacy activities)
• Assist with fundraising with respect to grassroots advocacy work and joint fundraising with member organizations
• Help NSAC develop and implement a communications strategy, including framing and message
delivery for news media
• Write or edit and disseminate press releases in conjunction with policy staff
• An understanding and passion for sustainable agriculture, including family farm livelihood and
opportunity, farm conservation and environmental protection, rural development, and marketing
and food systems issues
• A strong interest in building the sustainable agriculture movement and developing NSAC
• Bachelor’s degree or higher with significant academic work or on-the-job training in a relevant
• Extensive experience in grassroots outreach, organizing, and advocacy
• Experience in public policy campaign management preferred
• Knowledge of how to implement effective online organizing campaigns plus experience with
print, radio, online, and social media
• Experience with Salsa, or similar database management experience
• A good understanding of the federal legislative process
• Experience with large, multi-organization grassroots coalitions and democratic consensusbuilding process
• Staff and consultant management experience is a plus
• Strong writing, editing, public speaking, and verbal communications skills
• Goal-orientation with strong ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to both work independently and be a team player
Location and Work Environment
NSAC very strongly prefers for this position to be based in our Washington, DC office. The Grassroots Advocacy Director must be willing to work around a demanding congressional schedule and administrative deadlines. The position requires frequent domestic travel.
Compensation and Benefits Salary is on a non-profit scale and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Salary range is available upon request. NSAC offers an excellent employer paid benefits package and a lively and collaborative work environment.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary history, and the names of three references to Susan Prolman at email@example.com.
NSAC is an equal opportunity employer. We actively encourage people of color to apply for this position and all positions at NSAC.
Posted by RTC at 1:07 PM